Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Minor Setback...

Planning the walk has reached a bit of a setback! I got the building use form back from student activities, and it had a Post-It note that read "NO". Mrs. Mitzel, the student activities coordinator, explained to me that the athletic department vetoed the event for that date because they have too much going on that particular day. However, they said that Sunday could probably be okay, so I resubmitted the form and should hear back this week. Once I do, I can order the promotional materials like flyers and postcards, start advertising, and begin reaching out to potential sponsors. I actually was going to do that this week because I didn't even think having my date vetoed was a possibility, so it's lucky that I didn't! It would have been a disaster to have to re-order all new flyers with the right date! Yikes! Definitely dodged a bullet there.

Even though I was very upset when I first found out about the athletics department saying no, I'm keeping a positive attitude. Sunday can work just as well, and the walk can still be successful! Planning and organizing will soon get very busy, but I know I'll be able to take it in stride and it will all pay off in the end. I'm definitely going to try and speak to all the spring sports teams, because they could provide some great participation for the walk and it could be a competition of sorts to see which team can fundraise the most. I also want to find people who would like to speak or perform at the opening ceremony of the walk. 

As long as I try my hardest and put a lot of effort into this project, that's all that counts! I'm not going to stress about reaching a certain amount of participants or money raised, because from the beginning we've been told that failure is an option. And while I don't want my walk to be a total failure, I've kind of put things into perspective and realized that I'm a 15-year-old girl trying to organize a major event on top of school, sports, church, and my plethora of extracurricular activities. So if the event isn't a smashing success it'll be okay, because it will be a personal success for me and a victory for suicide prevention no matter how small! 

3 comments:

  1. Hannah, I am so inspired by your project. What a moving tribute, a teen organizing an awareness and prevention walk for others to participate in, expanding awareness for all! I type this with a "Come Out of the Dark" bracelet on my wrist.

    You have a great attitude about your project, too -- "So if the event isn't a smashing success it'll be okay, because it will be a personal success for me and a victory for suicide prevention no matter how small!"

    I look forward to following your journey and am so glad Mr. P. gave you the chance for 20 Time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, Ms. Diem!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your comment, Ms. Diem!

      Delete